Friday, June 5, 2009

FPR and the Environment

Patrick Deneen's essay at FPR, Against the Environment is a perfect example of why I wish I could post there - I'd like to be able to tell him how much I appreciate his essay, and how much I agree with him.

Alas, such is not to be. :)

We simply cannot continue to live the consumptive lives we now have. That does not mean that we must be poorer - we are so poor now in all that matters, poorer would be hard to achieve - but rather that we find our riches in simpler ways. How much we love one and other is not a function of how far we drive in a day in our efforts to find rewarding work, for example. The challenge of the future will be to provide access to rewarding work, and a rewarding life, without requiring so much energy be used, without a need for so many things in our lives.

Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment